Sunday, September 23, 2007

Interview Article Lessons

For this week I read several of the articles from CareerJournal. Some of the articles which I found most interesting included "Four Tips for Acing Interviews by Phone," "Body-Language Tactics that Sway Interviewers," and "How to Blow a Job Interview."

One of the suggestions I found interesting was having notes and information available while doing a phone interview. I had not previously considered this option, although it could be very helpful, especially regarding questions about the company. Another of the articles noted the importance of pre-interview behavior. While I realize that arriving early for an interview is always a good idea, I had not considered the importance of appearing calm and collected while waiting for the actual interview to begin. This article also advised the readers on appropriate behavior if the interviewer takes a phone call during the interview. I had not previously considered this scenario or the importance of the interviewee's reaction. The suggestion of appearing confident in the job interview was also presented in one of the articles. I found this suggestion particularly significant because job interviews make me extremely nervous, and the article helped me realize how important it is to conceal this.

An article for which I don't remember the name also suggested bringing a cardigan or sweater to the interview to prevent the tendency of crossing my arms because of cold. I thought this was a great suggestion, which I would not have though of on my own.

No comments: