Sunday, September 16, 2007

In ten years?

As a political science major I often get asked the question "So, do you want to be a lawyer?" The answer is that no, I have no plans for law school. After my internship in a court last summer, I have determined that while the legal field is very interesting it is not, however, the path for me. My trip to Serbia, however, fully convinced me that I want to pursue a career related to international relations.

Ten years from now I hope to be either working within the government, for a NGO with an international focus, or possibly doing consulting work for an international organization. Ideally, my job would be based in Washington, D.C. or London and would involve a considerable amount of international travel. I'm also considering a career in the Foreign Service; in which case I would be living in a foreign country.

My goals for ten years also include gaining proficiency in at least one foreign language and making it through the list of "must-read" novels I've already compiled (it's a very long list , so this is a pretty unrealistic goal). I'd also like to have a couple articles published in a journal of political science. I'm a firm believer that life isn't about an end goal but is instead about the journey. Usually the best experiences of my life are ones for which I didn't plan, so ten years from now I can't really even predict what I'll be doing, but I'm sure it will be something I love.

No comments: